Sunday, January 1, 2012

Car and Driver's "2012 10 Best: 10 Best Design Details"

For this blog post I thought I would change things up a bit, instead of posting about a new car being released and such, I figured I would discuss a more specific detail. Interior design details. Car and Driver recently released what they consider to be the "10 Best Design Details of 2012", man, did they make some mistakes.

The first design detail is the Audi A6/A7 Layered wood trim.



I have to say, this is one that I STRONGLY agree with, I have seen this in person and know from first hand experience just how phenomenal this looks on the interior of a vehicle. It is a look different from most other "wood" trimmed interiors in todays vehicles. Good choice Car and Driver.

The second design detail is the Bentley Mulsanne Organ-Stop Airflow Actuators.



Now I obviously have not had the chance to see this first hand, however, they do look quite fantastic. I don't know if I would have placed this on my top 10, however, it is better then some other choices. So, smart choice Car and Driver.

The third design feature is the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport NACA Ducts.



Oh god do these look good. Personally, I like the Bugatti Veyron. I know a lot of people who say that it looks bland, boring, and as one friend put it, "lacking a soul". However, the people at Bugatti designed this car this way for a reason. To go fast, very fast. Now the standard Veyron 16.4 is good looking, except for one thing...


Those big 'ole air ducts on the roof, protruding from it like a two small tumors. Bugatti has found a way to have the ducts properly function, and look better. VERY good choice Car and Driver.

The fourth design detail is the Chevrolet Sonic Gauge Cluster.



This is one I have a hard time deciding on. I have see this first hand, and it does look very sharp. In a world where more and more automobiles are including digital read outs of speed and such, this does so effectively. Yet, I don't know quite how comfortable I am with solely a digital display and not the standard speedometer. I would have to say poor choice Car and Driver.

The fifth design detail is the Ferrari FF Passenger Side Speedometer



Very sleak, very innovative, very cool, very very useless. Poor choice Car and Driver.

The sixth design detail is the Lamborghini Aventador Start-Button Cover.



What a great, great design detail. Similar to that of a fighter jet before it launches a missile, this Lambo features a button cover before you start it's 700hp engine. However, that should not be tamed. Good choice Car and Driver.

The seventh design detail is the McLaren MP4-12C Air Vents.



Yeah...no. Nothing special about this. It looks like its made out of plastic from China, and aside from that, its just plain boring. Poor choice Car and Driver.

The eighth design detail is the Mercedes-Benz CLS63 Shifter.



I really, REALLY like this. For being a automatic gear box, your hand does not need to be on the shifter at all times, meaning the shape can be pretty out there (within reason). I like the low profile of the knob, if you could call it a knob, and it appears as if it may even be a little more ergonomical than the standard gear knob. Good choice Car and Driver.

The ninth design detail is the Morgan 3-Wheeler RAF Paint Job.



Here's another view, seeing as that one is a little restrictive.



If I had money to toss out the window, I might save it and purchase one of these. A certain friend of mine can appreciate, probably more than I can, the mechanics of this 'car'. The exposed instruments, the engine right in your face. and most of all the uniquely crafty paint job. Excellent, just excellent. Good choice Car and Driver.

The tenth and final design detail is the Porsche Cayman R Cloth Door Pulls



Oh God no, NO! Get it away! The red door pulls on a Sand Beige Interior Leather, sickening. Their television ads should say "From the world's laziest design team, Porsche now brings you...a uselessly hideous way to barely lighten your Cayman." I understand what they were trying to do by removing handles and inserting cloth pulls, but seriously? Seriously Porsche? There is nothing, NOTHING you could remove or make Carbon Fiber to lighten the car? Its just mind blowingly hideous, and the worst part is, the seat belts...also red. WHY! You cannot lighten a seat belt you just cant, if your going to make the door handles hideous red pulls that won't match a nice beige interior at least do us the courtesy of making the seat belts match. TERRIBLE choice Car and Driver.

Well I hope you liked this change of pace on my Blog. I hope you can agree with some of my opinions and disagree with others. This is the point after all, to spark conversation. As always pass on the link to my blog. Continue following, and I'll continue to try and put out more updates.

Thanks for the continued support. Chase your dreams, never give up.

Ferrari 458 Italia, some day.

3 comments:

  1. By CLS63 you also mean to include the Chrysler 300c right?

    Mechanical ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collin, you're an amazing writer.

    Also, love your statement "Chase your dreams, never give up." Keep chasing your dreams, you'll reach them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No not really, the 300's gear knob is rotated 90 degrees. It is also a bit cluttered.

    http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2011/09/2012-Chrysler-300-eight-speed-gear-knob-1024x640.jpg

    ReplyDelete